Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Obama's race speech

Commentary from the Huffington Post: Obama Cracks My TV in Half

I had several similar reactions when I read the text. I've yet to see the actual performance, but the video is up on his website and I'll be watching tonight. Just from reading, however, I teared up. It was... phenomenal. Now, a lot of people have been saying that all Obama offers is words. First of all, what words! But secondly, these people act like taking a public stance on a subject and commenting on it in such a way that it prompts the American people to reflect on their own beliefs is nothing. It's not nothing. Actions start with ideas, and ideas are conveyed in words. Many of these same critics say that he's putting forth a Utopian ideal, that the ideas are unrealistic. I've learned, over the years, to be wary of people pushing realism and nothing else. Realism leaves you with the present, with nowhere to go from there. If you aim for the most perfect world you can imagine, then even if you only make it one-tenth (or whatever) of the way, you've still progressed much farther than if you grounded all of your expectations (and yes, hopes and dreams) in reality. Plus, working toward your ideal just feels better than working toward someone else's idea of what is realistically possible. I believe that this concept is integral to Obama's campaign and appeal. I don't think it's a dishonest approach. I don't think it's a pointless pursuit. And I think honest, tasteful, insightful and moving speeches like the one Senator Obama gave yesterday are a great starting point for turning America from her current state, to one where a greater proportion of the people feel they're getting a fair deal, that they're represented. Because before we can change the country, I think we must change ourselves and the way we view America. And I don't think we can do that until we examine ourselves, the way we affect others, and the way the tough issues affect all of our lives. That's a good start. The race speech was a beautiful exercise in good starts. Let's continue...

No comments: