Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm a kick ass cook.

Seriously, if this weekend has taught me anything, it's that, in the kitchen, I probably put most of you to shame. =) Just kidding. Although in the course of the weekend, I made a delicous pork roast, pumpkin pie, and tequila smoothies. The tequila smoothies are, of course, an interesting story.

So, Saturday night, Brigit and I were having some friends over to chill out, drink and play boardgames. We wanted to make some margaritas, and there was some leftover Strawberry Margarita Mix in our fridge we were planning on using. What we weren't planning on, was the absence of any frozen H2O from our home. Seriously, there was not a single piece of ice in the entire place. There was lots of semi-frozen water on its way to becoming ice, but no ice. So we had to improvise. We raided the freezers in search of frozen fruit and made what was essentially a breakfast time smoothies with lots of tequila in it. It felt so naughty to drink it! It was just so healthy and yet so physically devastating. =)

Friday night, after seeing Harry Potter 4 (which I will review soon), I just chilled. I took this Harry Potter preceptorial (basically a class for fun, no grades, and you only meet three times a semester) so I got my ticket for free. The movie itself was pretty much what I expected - fun, highly entertaining, some great moments, but all in all, disappointing to those who have read the books. Now this is no one's fault: the book is HUGE! And those damn kid actors are growing up so fast - doing it in 2 parts is out of the question. There was just so much I would have loved to see on screen that they didn't even include. And with the exception of the notorious three - no other character had any sort of significant role, not even Dumbledore (speaking of whom, I soooo prefer Richard Harris!) - which is a shame, because they are some of my favorite characters - Snape, Draco, Prof. McGonegal. The best part of the film vs. the book though, is that on-screen, the sexual tension between characters comes out so much better. It's hilarious, actually. Also, the plot moves extremely fast (they are trying to fit what should probably be a 6 hour movie into a mere 2 1/2 hours) so it might take some of you a few viewings. But the special effects are impressive and all in all, it is quite enjoyable. I think I'll probably see it over Thanksgiving in an IMAX somewhere with my little sister.

Anyhow, the weekend was relatively uneventful, but in a quite nice way. For once, I didn't have a totally oppressive amount of work so I spent a lot of time relaxing. Which is splendid. One semi-productive thing I did today was post a lot of pictures to thefacebook.com - so check them out if you have the time. Here's to a pleasant week and an even more pleasant Thanksgiving, readers. XOXOXOX

No comments: