Thursday, February 07, 2008

You know what really steams my clams?

Books written to propel the idea that it is ok, even desirable, for a girl or woman to be a brat or bitch. And actually this applies to movies, television, all forms of media. Sometimes the information contained within is valuable, but as consumers, we have spoken and the only way to make it big is to appeal to the desier of today's females to be... well, Paris Hilton. Or a number of other "great role model" celebrities. I first became disgusted when I read a couple paragraphs out of the New York Times bestseller Skinny Bitch. My sister bought the book after Christmas, in hopes of getting healthier. And the information inside is good. But the presentation seeks out the absolute worst in today's pop culture. In case you're unfamiliar, here are some excerpts, courtesy of Amazon. Why couldn't it provide the information in a "tough talk" manner without pigeon-holing women into this stereotype of wanting to be a "skinny bitch"? I'm not a terribly sensitive person, but I do find the whole concept to be offensive.


My hatred of this genre (can I call it that?) was re-inflamed this morning when I got my email from Borders. Apparently there's a series for teens, in which the 9th book (it made it to nine!) is called Bratfest at Tiffany's (don't even get me started on the name...) aimed at middle school students that encourages girls to be total and complete brats (and many other nasty names). Here's a truly awful excerpt courtesy of Borders. Now, one of the many, many things I find troubling about this trend is the fact that middle school is a terrible time no matter what. It's just an awkward, horrific age. Add to that, literature (if one can call it that) supporting the idea that pretty, popular people should be ruthless and dominant in the grand social world of your average middle school. The inkling, I'm sure, was there before - but now these girls, and ultimately I'm sure this affects the boys too, are actually finding reinforcement for their selfish and petty behavior. I haven't read these books, and I can safely warrant that I never will, but I'm making an educated guess that the end doesn't include some heart-warming lesson about how it's best to be kind, tolerant, open-minded, sensitive, etc. And that is what I believe our children need now, more than ever. These "brats" seem to almost follow the lead of our current administration - establish your dominance, do whatever you feel, and screw anyone who doesn't agree - you're fabulous, so who cares? I see more and more of these sort of publications every day. Fascination with the worst in people seems to run rampant. I don't think it's hard to see that we have quite a degree of moral decay going on in this country (note that it was during a time when the "family values" party was in control that the bulk of this happened, at least from my point of view). Why do we play into the idea that terrible people are somehow "cool"? Does anyone have any insight? I sure don't. My classmates may have varying views, but for the most part, I felt like the admired parties in our school were generally the good students, sometimes athletes, and overall nice people. What was your experience? And I'd love to hear any thoughts you may have on this trend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insofar as being a good student did not automatically make you be considered a nerd, our class was less broken that it could have been, but there was still some definite weird mojo in the air.

Anyhow, anyone taking pride in self-proclaimed bitch status is automatically lowered many, many points on potential friend scale for me. I find it baffling and mildly worrisome just like you. Do the parents who buy these things for their kids *want* them to be loathsome?

Melinda said...

I'm glad you agree. And in general, I think our class was different from most others (from my talks with my sister, her class was much more typical, "Mean Girls" style). I think we may have been on the cusp of this trend, because the girls in the classes following us seemed a lot more ruthless than any that came before.

And yes! What are these parents thinking, if they have any input at all?! And what about the adults writing these books for teens/pre-teens? Do they have no social conscience at all?

e. donovan said...

I think our class was pretty decent. There were some popular people whom I couldn't stand, but I think actually the really irritating people weren't at the "top" of the social pyramid.

That first book really seems kinda pathetic, I think. It's like a diet book written by Ann Coulter. I get the idea that the authors thought that their good advice was boring so they'd dress it up with some curse words and social stereotyping. It might sell to some people but I can't see the appeal myself.

Melinda, it's really interesting how much you & I think alike...