Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday Follow-up

So, I doubt anyone was terribly surprised at the results. And, as much as I wanted hard evidence of a sea change in American politics, the Obama campaign could certainly benefit from their "viable underdog" position in the coming months. Finally, I'm glad it's not over for Barack - that was my biggest fear and America did well to keep his campaign afloat. That being said, I'm still not pleased that "Hil-dog" is on top. However, unlike many I have spoken with, I'm not a huge Hillary hater. I prefer Obama, certainly. But considering the noxious atmosphere of American politics since 2000, I think nearly any change (*confession: I feel much more comfortable saying that given Romney's performance yesterday) would be beneficial. I guess I'm just arguing for open-mindedness. I read some disturbing things on both sides of the Hillary debate (she has an almost uncanny ability to spark passionate extremism regarding her character) today. This column from Stanley Fish in the New York Times details how crazy some of the claims about Hillary are, and I agree that some of the "haters" have gotten out of control. On the other side, a rumor is circulating that Chelsea Clinton forwarded this rant from feminist Robin Morgan called "Goodbye to All That (#2)" around to friends. I read most of this rant, and while some points are valid, most of it is anger-driven nonsense. So on either side, this extremism is ridiculous, but I suppose I can understand it. But as far as analysis of the vast majority of the American population, I guess I'm still a little perplexed by their support. Hillary supposedly carries women (not a huge surprise), Latinos and the elderly. Besides feminism which I get, I'm curious as to the basis for these votes. Anyone have some insight? Have a link to an article that provides some insight? Anything? Just trying to understand the dynamics here...

No comments: