Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Alternative Energy

Some of you may have noticed, but I'm a bit progressive. I'm particularly passionate about progress in the environmental sphere. Americans need to start adopting alternative forms of energy sooner, rather than later, and we need to let go of some old hang-ups in order to do so. I still need to do more research on nuclear power, but it seems like a reasonable (though certainly not the ideal) option. However, wind farms are something I'd definitely like to see more of. Many of the major arguments against building more wind farms are based on NIMBY ("not in my backyard") politics - basically, people think they are ugly. I disagree. Take a look at the above (which is available for purchase through the New York Times) and below, then compare with the coal plants below. Oh and don't forget this. What would you rather look at? What would you rather breathe?





As a follow-up, you can affect the way you, and people in your local area, get their energy in two ways - from the supply side and the demand side. From the supply side, one can stay politically savvy, write your senators and congresspeople, and vote for clean and alternative energy initiatives. From the demand side, you can send the message that this is what the people want by exercising your power as a consumer. Many energy companies give you the option of getting a percentage of your energy consumption from renewable sources only. It typically is slightly to moderately more expensive. I know my grandparents in New Jersey are doing this and many other states have similar options. If you really want to get involved, then there are many, many non-profit organizations seeking to help the environment. http://www.1sky.org/ is one of my favorites.

No comments: