Friday, June 13, 2008

Calorie count legislation

As I'm sure you probably know, New York and California legislators are pushing restaurants to publish calorie counts. While I think it is important to have this freedom of information, particularly in chain restaurants and fast food joints, I am wholly against the idea of calorie counts on all menus, hell maybe even all chains (see link below). Maybe give patrons the option. I just don't think I need to know what that delicious piece of meat topped with sizzling butter or the pastry shelf at Tartine is doing to my waistline -- I'm already racked with guilt for my ability to afford such gluttonous luxuries, does one really need to bring health into it? In my opinion, the answer is a definite "no" - taste like that is too good to corrupt. In this case, ignorance really is bliss.

No comments: