Friday, October 19, 2007

In Rainbows review

First off, before I even talk about the music, let me say - because of the revolutionary new way they chose to distribute the album, I'm inclined to like it. Purely based on that, I want to like it quite badly. But unfortunately there are benchmarks - there's the music, the world's current situation and their past recordings to consider. Note - I didn't read any other reviews before writing this. I still haven't even finished the Pitchfork one.

I'll do the songs one-by-one, then the album as a whole.

15 Step - I like this as an opening track. Grabs the attention, v. pleasant to listen to, I like the rhythm a lot! And the children's cries were a real treat. As for the lyrics... I've had a bit of trouble deciphering them (it happens with Radiohead) but in general, I feel it's about the lack of control we feel in our lives - that we're being manipulated and even when we try to do right, we "end up where [we] started".
Bodysnatchers - I dig the music in this one a lot. The entire album is a lot more fast-paced than most previous releases, which adds a whole new body-shaking dimension to my experience. This track especially. Anyhow, the lyrics are pretty straightforward, in Radiohead terms anyway - and v. political.

"Has the light gone out for you?
Cause the light's gone for me
It is the 21st century
It is the 21st century
You can fight it like a dog
And they brought me to my knees
They got scared and they put me in
They got scared and they put me in
All the lies run around my face
All the lies run around my face
And for anyone else to see
And for anyone else to see."


More or less, this is our current administration's biggest trademark. I talked it over with Paul, and he says the U.S. and the U.K. are pretty equal in their use of the media to instill fear and apathy in the domestic population. I see this as a reaction to the over-presence of the media in today's life. And holy crap, it IS the 21st century. I keep forgetting.
Nude - Here's where it slows down to baby-making jams. Haha, just kidding of course. This uses lyrics from a unreleased track "Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)". Again, very political message. God, I love that about them. Extremely pleasant to listen to, the chill music flows perfectly with Thom's angelic voice. And again, it's just about the hopelessness we all feel. It really makes me want to cry.
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Not the most memorable track on the album, but I still like to listen to it. It just seems a little like... more of the same, you know? Musically and lyrically.
All I Need - I really like the music in this one - sounds so dark, ethereal. I interpret as a person who willingly subjugates their own personal needs/interests in favor of another's. I tried to interpret this optimistically, but like most Radiohead songs, I realized it cannot be done. Everybody's looking for a leader, some meaning, something. It can even be about the fans - when you think about it, we are like moths circling Yorke's flame. Waiting to absorb their message, putting ourselves, our own thoughts, in second place. In our own minds, we're the next act.
Faust Arp - Beautiful opening and altogether a gorgeous composition. I'm a little confused on the lyrics still, but I sense a lot of disappointment. I just don't know with whom yet.
Reckoner - This may be my favorite track on the album. It feels more powerful than the others (even has a more powerful title) and a succinct message.

"You can't take it with you
Disavow the pleasure."

I think this is full-on use of guilt tactics. We've put righteousness after material gain and our selfish individuality above global justice. We're bastards.
House of Cards - I dig this track as well, especially the two opening lines: "I don't want to be your friend, I just want to be your lover." To me, this is almost the opposite of "All I Need" - the speaker of the song is going to take what he wants from you, no matter what you want. Does that sound familiar (politically)? The music is very pretty.
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - Haha, when I read the lyrics, I was like, "damn, been there." Again, I think it has bigger implications, but I'm prone to believe it about all Radiohead songs. This is what we do with our time - we drink until we forget what life is like because we want to escape (also mentioned in "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi"). I'm always surprised by how dark Radiohead really is, and I think that's one of the reasons I like them so much. No other band is so consistently and strikingly dark. This song is a great example of that.
Videotape - From the onset, this song makes me sad. And mad props to Yorke for putting "Mephistopheles" into a song. I think this is a personal song, about his child / the future he will have to grow up in. But I like that they left the album with a little bit of hope: "No matter what happens now, You shouldn't be afraid, Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen."

Ok, album as a whole? I like it, but I have to say a lot of the songs sound very similar. I wish they had experimented and diverged more in the final arrangement of this album. There are messages, but they are incredibly subtle. Not that I think meanings should be shouted or explained outright, but In Rainbows seemed almost too muted. Compared to most of the albums released nowadays - it's phenomenal, of course. But compared to prior Radiohead releases, it disappoints a bit. Plus, after a politically powerful album like Hail to the Thief, I was a little sad there wasn't more outrage. It's like they've almost given up as well. So, in summary, good, not great and could be more substantial - but still excellent, musically and lyrically, and growing on me by the minute.
Note - I'm probably way off-base with most of my interpretations. I've been consumed with political thoughts etc. lately and I'm sure I've filtered it all through that. If anyone has any thoughts, I greatly welcome them.

3 comments:

ooya said...

So the real question is this: How much did you pay for it?

Melinda said...

7.45 pounds - roughly $15-17 - more or less what I would've paid in a regular cd store. Did you get it?

funke said...

To address one of your points about the latest album not being very angry politically: I feel like so much of Radiohead's music happens inside one's own head. Anger is hard to generate with angst-ridden solipsism, since anger presupposes a reality beyond the imagination*...


*Not to say that Radiohead is totally a mind game. But, well, most of their best songs tap into some introspective psychosis.