Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Did we somehow end up with the short end of the stick?

Generally, I think I have a pretty good life. As the first four-year college graduate in my family line, I definitely feel like I'm at a better place than my parents at 24 years old. I'm sure they would agree. However, on the grand scale - it seems that my generation might be facing much tougher times than previous generations (basically the boomers have really messed things up for us, and us for ourselves, most likely). Bob Herbert artfully (and tragically) describes it as the loss of the American dream. Thus, the importance (which I have been preaching about for years) of political involvement from the get-go. Believe me, the other generations are protecting their interests - and because, in a democracy, real change stems primarily from mass, coordinated action - we need to get our shit together and stop the apathy. The good news is (I love when there is good news!), it seems to be happening. Barack Obama is obviously the catalyst - but, as cheesy as it is, he's also right about this - we are the change we've been waiting for. It's like, for the past eight years, we've all been waiting for everyone else to step up. And vice-versa. Once we got a sense that others of our age/values/mindsets were taking accountability for ensuring this one (guh - don't even get me started on the 2004 election...) goes right, once we had someone who could inspire us to actually desire a well-informed state of being, well then, the changes in ourselves and our colleagues started appearing. A few years ago, I don't think I could actually believe I would ever know THIS MUCH about politics at their current state. Pet issues, sure - but details about two candidates policies, personal lives, histories, campaign goals, etc. etc. etc. - not so much. And it's not just me - it's a very large percentage of my friends. I'm just musing at the moment - there is a lot here I'd like to address, but unfortunately do not possess the time right now (oh how I wish I could stop using that phrase - where does the time go?) - but I believe things are heading in the right direction. The important thing is that we recognize our own significance, the changes that we have every potential to make. Now that we're nearly done debating Clinton v. Obama with fellow twenty-somethings (or whomever) - it's time to figure out how we're going to make sure the change we all voted for, the vague idea that the toxic political atmosphere could clear, the renewed sense of hope - let's make sure the conservatives don't kill it. I think the GOP is probably already assuming younger folks won't show up for the general election - that's not let it slip through our fingers again. Stay involved, informed, and willing to engage. I can't wait to take on some of my Republican friends (I know, can you believe it? But I'm from Lancaster county, give me a break!) and I hope the rest of you young'uns feel the same. We're a big group with a lot of political power - we just haven't been using it. Time to start using our demographic strength - seems like we'll be needing it for quite a while.

No comments: