Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"So ya... thought ya... might like to... go to the show."

In my quest to unite music and film, the musical genre inevitably came up. However, not in the traditional sense (although my sister did kindly give me Cabaret for Christmas, although I suspect the gift was self-serving - see below). Each year, my parents typically pick a band in the classic rock genre, one that they know I like. Then for Christmas, I get a spattering of their best albums (in my parents' opinions - this naturally works out for them as well). Last year it was The Beatles. This year it was Pink Floyd.

My last obsession was Bob Dylan, with a brief dip into Leonard Cohen (I plan to revisit both of these artists later). I knew I needed something different, something that would offset Dylan's folkiness. Pink Floyd turned out to be just the ticket.

In one of many trips during break to Best Buy (I come from a family of compulsive gift card users - most are spent by New Year's), I picked up The Wall. I had already received the album from my parents and given it several thorough listenings. I knew I had to see this film.



I had heard things. I knew Pink Floyd's music. Believe me, I thought I was prepared for whatever trip this film would take me on.

I was wrong.

I don't want to give anything away, but it was far more... well, trippy is the only word I can think of right now, than I expected. But I loved every moment. A few warnings - it's dark, in fact, very very dark. It's explicit - do not watch with children. Roger Waters was actually unhappy with the final product (thank you Wikipedia) because he felt the main character (Pink, a rock star played by Bob Geldof) was unsympathetic. I didn't find him entirely so, but I suppose they could've upped the sympathy quotient some. Final warning - it IS confusing. Most of the metaphors are pretty straightforward, but without traditional dialogue and a timeline that jumps fairly frequently - you can lose your way. I'd suggest watching at a time when you won't be interrupted or distracted. And please, let me know what you think!



Final story re: my sister Katie. I'm much more into music than either of my other sisters - although Becky is progressing. Since Katie typically has no real opinions about music, I rarely ask what she's into. A couple of weeks ago, we were talking on the phone about possible Christmas presents. I thought I might send her to a concert, so I asked what bands etc. she was into these days. Her response: "Actually, I'm into musicals." Not a total surprise, but still, hilariously delivered by my 17-year-old sister. While I'd selfishly love to share folk and indie and rock music with her, she does bring me much joy when she breaks out into Fiddler on the Roof song and dance in the middle of Macys.

2 comments:

ooya said...

Out of curiousity, what were the other Pink Floyd CDs you got?

And in related quesitons, what did you think of the Syd Barrett tracks I sent you?

Melinda said...

Well, I had Dark Side of the Moon already, but that was the only one. My parents got me The Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. So I still have a long way to go, but it's a pretty solid start.

Re: Syd Barrett tracks - loved them. Very different from the Waters-based Floyd I've been listening to lately, obviously - but just mellow enough. I think Baby Lemonade is my favorite.