Friday, October 14, 2005

Once again, the Wharton monster rears its ugly head.

I had a great post. I was writing it not ten minutes ago. Every word was pure poetry. It was witty, insightful and optimistic. Then my computer froze. All was lost. Felt a bit like my life as of late. I've been trying so hard with academia, but every time I think I've caught up, the rug is pulled from under me. Sigh. I guess I'm the one who signed the roster, I'll deal. I used to have all these theories on living. Want to know what it is now? Do what you have to, go to bed, get up, do it all over again. That's all my brain can handle right now. I feel like some sort of possessed learning robot. Maybe I've turned into Hindin. Nah, never!

Anyhow, I'm not even going to try and get back what I had in the previous post. It's gone, I suppose it wasn't mean to be. I'll boil down the important points though.

My house is hosting a kickass Halloween party on the 28th. You're probably invited. And believe me, you're going to want to be there.

Concert reviews:

Sufjan Stevens...is gorgeous. The show was fab. His music is beautiful. See him if you can, listen to him either way.

Across the Narrows festival...I'll go by group:

1. Polyphonic Spree - insane, optimistic, lots of bubbles, literally.

2. Belle and Sebastian - musical ecstacy. Played lots of stuff from the new album, kids, it's gonna be a barnburner. One particularly good song used the phrase "white collar" a lot. Trust me, you're not going to be disappointed.

3. Beck - the most fun I've had at Coney Island this summer. There is a man...aviator suit, aviator glasses, dances better than anyone I've ever seen. He's touring with Beck, and that's his primary job - to dance and look cool. I think I might be in love with this aviator man. Was it the outfit, the dancing, or his face? That's one riddle which will never be solved. Beck was extraordinary. He played lots of Guero stuff, I danced the whole time, he played Loser, everyone sang, he played Two Turntables, I danced some more. We had to leave a bit early and he was playing Mixed Bizness as we pushed through the crowd (we had a great position about 30 feet from the stage, right in the center - I could actually see him the whole time, which is a big accomplishment for someone 5'3" tall). As Johanna followed me out, I started dancing like a fanny, mostly because I was so filled with joy, and as we got towards the back of the standing area, I noticed Johanna was not following me anymore. She had stopped to say something to some guy, I figured it was someone she knew. So I pointed at her, laughing and shimmying, and turned to continue vacating the stadium, ass shaking the entire time. I turned back again and the guy she was talking to smiled and waved at me, I just kept dancing. Then I saw who she had stopped to talk to: the lead singer of the Polyphonic Spree. Good thing I didn't look stupid.

Wow. Those show descriptions got much longer as I went on. Ah well.

I've been hit with a swarm of good news lately. A bit is highly classified, but one thing that's not, is I received an e-mail this morning from the Daily Show - I got tickets for a taping in January! That should be fun. I can't really complain. I mean yes, school is hard, but I knew that long ago. I'll survive. I hope you are all doing fine. And if you're not, please come and talk to me. Maybe I can help. But if not, I can promise you one hell of a dance party, and we all know that can fix just about anything. Have you ever seen that one Father Ted...

No comments: