Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Vanity Fair on Bob Dylan


http://www.vanityfair.com/ontheweb/blogs/daily/2008/04/dylan.html

Pretty cool feature examining the tastes of Bob Dylan based on his XM radio show. I was surprised (and also very not surprised) about a lot of the artists on there. Nice visual too. I enjoyed the quotes they pulled from Dylan, as well - here are a few of my favorites:

Re: Leadbelly – “One of the few ex-cons who recorded a popular children’s album.”

“Some people call Bob [Seger] the poor man’s Bruce Springsteen, but personally, I always thought Bruce was the rich man’s Bob Seger. Love ‘em both, though.”

“Willie Nelson’s tour bus runs on cooking oil….I’ve toured with Willie…sometimes late at night you can see us, I’m filling up my tank at the gas station and he’s filling his up at Denny’s.”

Re: Howlin’ Wolf—“This next song is entirely without flaw and meets all the supreme standards of excellence.”
*personal side note - I've become obsessed with Howlin' Wolf - get some!

“The Harmonica is the world’s best-selling musical instrument. You’re welcome.”

“Lipstick traces on cigarettes can get you in trouble or remind you of the wonders of the night before.”


1 comment:

ooya said...

Theme Time Radio Hour is awesome. It is like IME, except the guy sending me music is Bob Dylan. Do you listen to the show? In case not, here's a random episode:

Download the episode here

Seemed like an appropriate theme for spring.