Friday, August 24, 2007

Mega-California Mix

So I've decided to do a mix of California songs, and first of all, can I say how much I love wikipedia? It has the ability to answer so many of my lingering questions to a reasonably accurate degree with just the click of a few keys. For example, awhile back, a few friends and I were discussing marathon movie nights in preparation for certain vacations, such as "Vegas Movie Night". Now typically, pre-wikipedia/the internet, we'd sit around, rack our brains, and come up with probably the most obvious ones: Fear and Loathing..., Leaving..., ... Vacation, etc. - basically anything with "Vegas" in the title. Nowaways - BOOM! Love it. Well, this feature came in handy with thinking about the California mix as well - BOOM! Note: I do not see this as laziness, but rather an incredibly economical and efficient use of time. After perusing the list, I realized that I had enough good stuff in my current music library to construct the entire mix, so here goes...

1. “California Stars" by Wilco(lyrics by Woody Guthrie)
2. "Fake Tales of San Francisco" by Arctic Monkeys
3. "California" by Rufus Wainwright
4. "Grace Cathedral Hill" by The Decemberists
5. "Do Re Mi" by Woody Guthrie
6. "Goodnight, Hollywood Blvd" by Ryan Adams
7. "Santa Cruz (You're Not That Far)" by The Thrills
8. "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding
9. "Going to California" by Led Zeppelin
10. "Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle and Sebastian
11. "California" by Low
12. "Under the Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
13. "California Dreaming" by Jose Feliciano
14. "405" by Death Cab for Cutie
15. "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash
16. "California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade" by The Decemberists

Yeah, I dare someone to come up with a better California mix. Honestly, I dare you.

No comments: