Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Break up Songs

Now, I don't break up very often, so I don't really have any practical use for this list, but I like to fantasize about potential situations, and be prepared, should it come up. That may be the worst sentence ever (I need to do some serious cutbacks on my clauses), but I will persevere. My lovely Olivia sent me Leonard Cohen's Songs of Love and Hate album (it's pure gold!!!). During my first listen, one song grabbed my attention so fiercely that I pretty much couldn't listen to anything else for the rest of the night. It was the first song I'd heard by Cohen where he sounds legitimately pissed off. It's fabulous, and now, it's my favorite break up song ever. I am actually excited to use it someday in the distant future. So here's my short list for best break up songs - PLEASE feel free to comment if you have a favorite or two, as well. Someday, I may have use for it - but until then, we can daydream, right?

"Diamonds in the Mine" Leonard Cohen
"I'm Waking Up to Us" Belle and Sebastian
"4th Time Around" Bob Dylan
"Must I Paint You a Picture" Billy Bragg

2 comments:

ooya said...

OK, I can't resist commenting on this. A couple off the top of my head:

"Song for the Dumped" - Ben Folds

"Ex Girl to the Next Girl" - Gang Starr
(I've been addicted to this song recently. Guru is the man.)

"So Long" - Guster

"Next Time You See Me" - Grateful Dead

"Cry Me a River" - anyone (I'm partial to Sam Cooke's version)

and probably my favorite breakup song of all time:

"Don't Think Twice It's Alright" - Dylan

Melinda said...

Don't Think Twice is the ultimate break-up song, but the whole list is great. Thanks!